Hello all! I’m Katie, the JCR President, and you might know me from my
irritatingly chirpy weekly bulletins, or perhaps from my gangly-red
headed bumbliness. Anyway, I’ve had an absolute blast as JCR President –
and I really think you should consider running!
What does the role entail?
As JCR President, you are THE main conduit of communication between
senior members and students. You are the representative of student
opinion in college, and in this position sit as a member of Newnham
College’s Governing Body and on Joint Committee. You formulate reports
and surveys to gauge student opinion, and then have the opportunity to
make REAL GENUINE CHANGE for the good of college!
You organize and chair weekly JCR meetings with your brilliant and
dedicated committee to discuss, and most importantly, act on, issues
which affect students. And organize lots of fun stuff too!
You sit on CUSU council, and vote on issues that affect the entire
student body of Cambridge – making sure that the opinions of Newnhamites
are reflected and noted in any policy initiatives.
You get to speak in front of everyone at Matriculation dinner – and get
pride of place next to the Principal for the free smack-up meal.
Being JCR President gives you the best possible platform for making
worthwhile change – and if that’s not reason enough to run, then check
out these additional incentives:
• As JCR President, you get the SWAGGEST CRIB in Newnham, complete with
telly and sofas.
• You also get invited to loads of free lush dinners – formal halls,
governing body dinners and even Michelin starred restaurants
• Going to cusu council means you get loads of free pizza
• You get to call yourself president. Even if no one else does. But they
should. Because you are actually a president.
• It looks bloody AMAZING on your CV, and you will get lots of emails
from companies wanting to employ you.
WHAT IT TAKES:
• DEDICATION. It does take up a lot of time, but if you are really
passionate about the role, you won’t mind too much.
• ORGANIZATION. You have to be really good at organizing meetings, have
good time management, be very efficient and answer lots of emails.
• CONFIDENCE. You absolutely must not be afraid to speak out, ever.
• CARE. You should care about Newnham, Newnhamites and people in
I WANT TO DO IT.
Too right you do! Well here is what you need to do!
THURSDAY 13th NOVEMBER – Midnight – MANIFESTO DEADLINE
SUNDAY 16th NOVEMBER – Time TBC – HUSTINGS
MONDAY 17th NOVEMBER – 7am – Midnight – VOTING
WHAT SHOULD MY MANIFESTO LOOK LIKE?
Your manifesto should be no more than 400 words and should include: your
name, the role you are applying for and something about why people
should vote for you/what you would bring to the role.
The paper version must be signed by 2 members of the JCR – a proposer
and a seconder. These cannot be running for election.
Please send an electronic version to firstname.lastname@example.org
and pidge Immy a paper copy (signed).
Remember that online campaigns are strictly not allowed.
If you have even the tiniest interest in representing students’ voices,
please run! No previous JCR experience is necessary – I didn’t have any
– but what is needed is commitment!
And if you want an idea of how much change a JCR President really can
make, check out my final farewell bulletin on Friday.
PLEASE EMAIL ME if you have any queries, I’d be more than happy to help!
– Tonight: Principals Lodge Career Women Seminar at 6 p.m.
– GREEN EVENT TONIGHT IN THE BAR – 8 O’CLOCK