Due to COVID-19 all laundry facilities will be free of charge during the 2020/21 academic year and although college will still provide free college bedding this cannot be changed for free every week, instead you will be able to wash this using the free washing facilities.
Although many people choose to bring their own bedding and bed linen, the college also provides linen which can be changed once a week for free.
What do you get?
- 1 mattress protector
- 1 bottom sheet
- 1 duvet + a duvet cover
- 2 pillows, 2 pillow protectors + 2 pillow cases
- 1 bath towel
The Linen Room
The linen room is on the ground floor of Sidgwick and is open at the following times:
- Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday 8.00am-10.30am
- Wednesday 1.00pm-2.30pm
It is closed on Saturdays and Sundays, except for the occasional openings on Saturday towards the end of term. You can check the notice board outside the linen room/ emails notifying you of this.
During the Long Vacation, the linen room is only open Monday 8.00-10.30am.
Newnham has five laundry rooms. The prices vary depending on the building. Access is limited to the Rosalind Franklin Building laundry room, but the others are open to all.
- Piele (PG02): 4 washing machines costing £1.40 and 3 driers costing £0.20.
- Sidgwick (SG27): 3 washing machines costing £1.60 and 2 driers costing £1.00.
- Old Hall (OH119): 1 washing machine costing £1.40 and no driers.
- The Rosalind Franklin Building: 3 washing machines (no charge) and 2 driers (no charge).
- Dorothy Garrod Building: 4 washing machines costing £1.60 and 4 driers costing £1.00
There are also drying rooms in Old Hall and Peile; these rooms are very hot and have lots of laundry racks for you to hang your clothes, as well as an iron and ironing board. If you’re unsure where the closest facilities are, ask the porters!