If you would like to get involved with the displays in the library, there are a variety of different opportunities!!
Here is a guide on how to get involved!!
The library is a great place to work with many books (90,000 and counting!) and desks available – it’s rare to not find a space when you need one! The majority of these have power sockets, with the exception of a couple of the larger tables on the ground floor of the Yates Thompson Library. You can leave up to six books on a desk for three days, as long as you leave a reservation slip with them!
If there are any books that you need for your course that aren’t in our collection, just fill in a recommendation form (online on the library website or on paper in the library) and our librarians will order it in for you.
Features of the library:
- A computer suite with 9 PCs
- A print room – print, scan and photocopy items; this will get charged to your College Bill
- A media room, which includes a computer, and a comb-binding machine (for all those coursework projects!)
- Standing desk in basement
- A group study room – this has 4 PCs and can be booked and supplied with a projector during staff hours
- Borrowing is now up to 10 books for one week, with automatic renewals so long as nobody else requests the book)
- DVD collection
Library Opening Times:
- 6.30am-1.45am, 7 days a week (during term time)
- Staffed hours: 9am-1pm, 2pm-5pm, Monday to Friday
Everyone gets inducted to the library in the first week of your first year where you are shown the layout of the library, how to look up books (in Newnham and across the Cambridge libraries) as well as how to use the self-checkout service. After your induction, your university card will let you in the library. Please note that non-Newnhamites are only allowed in while the librarians are present and visitors must check in at the desk upon arrival.
Computers and Printing
Along with the large computer room in the library, there is another smaller computer room on 1st floor Sidgwick, open 24hrs a day. This is a great place to use a computer as it tends to be emptier than the library and since it has another printer, is a great backup if/when the main library one breaks. There is a new printer too, in the small room off the side of Fawcett JCR where you can print from in the usual way.
(Charged to your college bill at the start of each term)
Black and White: £0.05 per side
Colour: £0.20 per side